Georgian Society for East Yorkshire

Francis Johnson's Birthday

Francis Johnson

Francis Johnson

Tuesday, 18th April 1911

Francis Johnson was born this day in Bridlington in 1911. He was an early member of the Georgian Society for East Yorkshire and much involved in the conservation and renovation of Georgian buildings, both in the Yorkshire and nationally. His architectural practice was always based in Bridlington and has been carried on at Craven House, a former home of his, since his death in 1995.

Belton House, Lincolnshire

Belton House

Belton House, the seat of Lord Brownlow, was once attributed to Sir Christopher Wren, but is more likely to have been by William Winde. It was begun in 1685, and is in form a ‘double pile’, the principal rooms arranged in suites back to back, with projecting end bays, a hipped roof and a cupola. Sir John Betjeman thought ... (read more...)

Burton Agnes Hall, East Yorkshire

Burton Agnes Hall

This Elizabethan House was described by Simon Jenkins as "the perfect English house". Aside from its Elizabethan plasterwork and joinery the house contains an impressive art collection. http://www.burtonagnes.com/Home.html (read more...)

Fairfax House, York

Fairfax House 2011

Extensively adapted in the twentieth century as a cinema and dance hall, Fairfax House was saved from decay and returned to its former glory by York Civic Trust in 1982-84. One of the finest townhouses in the country, it has splendid Georgian (John Carr) plasterwork and woodwork, and a collection of furniture, clocks, paintings and porcelain, including the Noel ... (read more...)

Maister House, Hull

Maister House

The building's sober facade hides one of the most fascinating interiors in the city; and a story of wealth, tragedy and high art. The wealth belonged to the Maister family. The Maisters were one of a number of merchant families who lived on Hull's High Street and traded with ports around the North Sea and Baltic. The family originated ... (read more...)

Sledmere House, East Yorkshire

Sledmere House

The original Sledmere house of 1751 forms the core of the more substantial house of the created in the 1790s. The neoclassical design by Samuel Wyatt and Sir Christopher Sykes, 2nd Baronet, is characterised by the repeated use of an unusual motif of arched recesses framing tripartite windows. After the house was badly damaged by a fire in 1911, ... (read more...)

Wassand Hall, East Yorkshire

Wassand Hall

Wassand Hall dates from 1813 and was designed by Thomas Cundy for Rev Charles Constable. The house was restored by Francis Johnson in 1947 and its Regency interiors remain largely intact. There are two walled gardens; one contains roses whilst the other is a kitchen garden. http://wassand.co.uk/ (read more...)

See also

Related News