Georgian Society for East Yorkshire

Georgian Architecture in East Yorkshire

Francis Johnson Maister House Drawing

Francis Johnson Maister House Drawing

The Georgian era is most apparent to us in its architecture. The surviving buildings are there to proclaim the style of the period whether people look for it or not. There are plenty of survivals in the region: from country houses, and the impressive civic buildings of Beverley and Hull, to the many surviving Georgian houses large and small.

Particularly treasured are surviving Georgian interiors, which are more susceptible to updating as people modified their decor to suit their changing tastes and needs. Many of these, like the plasterwork ceiling of the Neptune Inn in Hull, are normally locked away behind closed doors, but can often be seen during pre-arranged visits or on Heritage Open Days.

Burton Agnes Hall, East Yorkshire

Burton Agnes Hall

This Elizabethan House was described by Simon Jenkins as "the perfect English house". Aside from its Elizabethan plasterwork and joinery the house contains an impressive art collection. http://www.burtonagnes.com/Home.html (read more...)

Burton Constable Hall Stables, East Yorkshire

Burton Constable Stables

The Stables at Burton Constable Hall were built in 1770 to the designs of Timothy Lightoler. The scale of the blocks reflects the Clifford Constable families love of riding. There were two stable blocks: the most architecturally sophisticated housed the hunters while the draught horses had a plainer building. The grooms slept on the upper floors. A large indoor ... (read more...)

Burton Constable Hall, East Yorkshire

Burton Constable Hall

The site of Burton Constable was first occupied by a mediaeval pele tower. This was rebuilt as a brick house in the early Tudor period and further developed as a grand Elizabethan mansion by Sir John Constable in the 1560s. The interiors were remodelled in a variety of Georgian idioms in the eighteenth century, most notably by Timothy Lightoler ... (read more...)

Church of Saint Mary the Virgin, Cottingham, East Yorkshire

Tower of St Mary the Virgin Cottingham.

The oldest parts of the Cottingham's parish church date from the early fourteenth century; the west window exhibits the flowing lines of the Curvilinear style favoured by Yorkshire masons at that time. The manor of Cottingham was owned by Joan 4th Countess of Kent; after she married the Prince of Wales (Edward the Black Price) in 1361, the church ... (read more...)

Holme Hall, Holme on Spalding Moor, East Yorkshire

Holme Hall, East Yorkshire.

Built in the 1660s for Lord Lngdale, Holme Hall was extended in the 1720s and again circa 1760. It has fine Georgian internal features and a Roman Catholic chapel of 1766 attributed to John Carr. The home of the Stourton samily in the 19th century, it was a convent from 1929 until the 1970s. It is now a Sue ... (read more...)

Maister House, Hull

Maister House

The building's sober facade hides one of the most fascinating interiors in the city; and a story of wealth, tragedy and high art. The wealth belonged to the Maister family. The Maisters were one of a number of merchant families who lived on Hull's High Street and traded with ports around the North Sea and Baltic. The family originated ... (read more...)

Sewerby Hall, Bridlington, East Yorkshire

Sewerby Hall

A fine example of the eary Georgian period, this Grade I listed house has recently undergone a £2.6 million renovation, opening many more rooms to the public. It contains two rooms of Amy Johnson memorabilia. The award winning gardens include a walled garden, rose beds and a pleasue garden with magnificent Monkey Puzzle trees. (read more...)

Sledmere House, East Yorkshire

Sledmere House

The original Sledmere house of 1751 forms the core of the more substantial house of the created in the 1790s. The neoclassical design by Samuel Wyatt and Sir Christopher Sykes, 2nd Baronet, is characterised by the repeated use of an unusual motif of arched recesses framing tripartite windows. After the house was badly damaged by a fire in 1911, ... (read more...)

Southwood Hall, Cottingham, East Yorkshire

Southwood Hall

Now surrounded by twentieth century developments, Southwood Hall is a remarkably intact example of a late seventeenth century house. It was built sometime before 1661 for the Bacchus family and was later a tenanted farmhouse; few alterations have been made since the eighteenth century. The house displays the bold decorative brick work typical of the seventeenth century. The present ... (read more...)

St Charles Borremeo, Jarratt Street, Hull

Interior of St Charles Borromeo, Hull - photo by Duncan Scott Mackenzie

The Roman Catholic Church of St Charles Borremeo was designed by John Earle junior and built 1828-9, with substantial enlargements in 1835. The classical interior was greatly enriched by an overlay of baroque style decoration in the 1890s. The church was listed Grade I in 2015 and has undergone extensive restoration. The Church is open daily for mass. Guided ... (read more...)

St Mary's Church, South Dalton, East Yorkshire

South Dalton Church

The church of St Mary was designed by John Loughborough Pearson and built 1858-61 as a replacement for a brick structure. Its spire is over 200 feet (61 m) tall. Inside the church lie a number of the Hotham family; the older monuments were transferred from the earlier church. There is a fine black and white marble monument in ... (read more...)

St Oswald's Church, Hotham, East Yorkshire

St Oswald

Norman in origin with a short west tower of the early 12th century and one Early English window in the nave. The chancel was rebuilt 1904-5 by the Hull architect F.S. Brodrick. Of particular note is the early 19th-century extension on the north side of the nave, built to house the squire's pew. An external door leads to a ... (read more...)

Wassand Hall, East Yorkshire

Wassand Hall

Wassand Hall dates from 1813 and was designed by Thomas Cundy for Rev Charles Constable. The house was restored by Francis Johnson in 1947 and its Regency interiors remain largely intact. There are two walled gardens; one contains roses whilst the other is a kitchen garden. http://wassand.co.uk/ (read more...)

In this section

Related Products

Related Links