Thirsk, North Yorkshire
The town of Thirsk is recorded in the DOOMSDAY BOOK as “Tresche”. There are numerous Georgian buildings surrounding the Market Place. James Herriot had his veterinary practise in the town from 1940; the original premises are now a visitors centre. The parish church, St Mary’s, was built in the fifteenth century and is a fine example of the Perpendicular Gothic style.