Brigg is a small market town – though near to us, perhaps not many will have explored it. The town grew because of its geographical position – at an ancient crossing of the River Ancholme; important prehistoric timber remains have been found, including boats. The town today owes its shape to the late 18th and early 19th centuries, with the railway coming in 1848. The grammar school was founded by Sir John Nelthorpe in 1674 (see Scawby Hall for more on the Nelthorpes). There are Georgian terraces and grander houses (such as The Exchange, 1762); also Georgian shop-fronts (for example in the market-place and on Bridge Street); and pubs and hotels of the same period (the Angel, the Lord Nelson, the Dying Gladiator). The town hall, of yellow brick with arcaded sides, dates from 1817. The church of St John, Evangelist is also 19th century, rebuilt in the 1840s. Behind the 19th century Congregational church are the interesting remains of once-common courts and yards.