Fairfax House, York
Extensively adapted in the twentieth century as a cinema and dance hall, Fairfax House was saved from decay and returned to its former glory by York Civic Trust in 1982-84. One of the finest townhouses in the country, it has splendid Georgian (John Carr) plasterwork and woodwork, and a collection of furniture, clocks, paintings and porcelain, including the Noel Terry Collection. the house was built in 1745 and fitted out in 1755-62 for Viscount Fairfax.
In this section
- The Georgians
- Georgian Architecture in East Yorkshire
- Georgian Art, Literature & Music in East Yorkshire
- Georgian Science, Industry & Commerce in East Yorkshire
- Georgian Politics, Diplomacy & War