Holgate Windmill, York
George Waud was the builder and first miller at Holgate windmill. It was working by October 1770 in open countryside looking over the hamlet of Holgate, which was centred on the junction of Acomb and Poppleton Roads. George’s son and grandson ran the mill until 1851 when it was sold to John Musham. It was sold again in 1855 to Joseph Peart who refurbished the mill and probably installed the steam engine. After several changes of ownership and tenant millers production stopped entirely in 1933. The Gitch family sold the mill to York Corporation in 1939. Despite several attempts to restore the mill it became neglected. In 2001 the Holgate Windmill Preservation Society was formed and through the dedication of its volunteers the mill is now working once more.