Church of Saint Mary the Virgin, Cottingham, East Yorkshire
The oldest parts of the Cottingham's parish church date from the early fourteenth century; the west window exhibits the flowing lines of the Curvilinear style favoured by Yorkshire masons at that time. The manor of Cottingham was owned by Joan 4th Countess of Kent; after she married the Prince of Wales (Edward the Black Price) in 1361, the church was given a new chancel in the Perpendicular style.
The tower was added in the fifteenth century, but caused structural problems which were rectified by heavily reinforcing the arches below it.
The church has a collection of fine Georgian wall monuments, most notably to the Burton family of Hotham.
ImagesMonument to Mrs Mary ParrySt Mary's Cottingham - Burton MonumentSt Mary the Virgin, Cottingham
In this section
- The Georgians
- Georgian Architecture in East Yorkshire
- Georgian Art, Literature & Music in East Yorkshire
- Georgian Science, Industry & Commerce in East Yorkshire
- Georgian Politics, Diplomacy & War