Kedleston Hall, Derbyshire
Commissioned in 1759 by Sir Nathaniel Curzon, Kedleston Hall was designed as a Palladian Villa by James Paine and Matthew Brettingham. The young Robert Adam was employed to design some garden temples on the estate, but his work so impressed Curzon that he was soon put in charge of the main house. The south front and interiors are examples of Adam's unconventional, neo-classical style. Originally the sash bars were all gilded: an ostentation which earned the disapproval of Dr Johnson. The house displays the Curzon's collection of fine furniture and paintings along with displays relating to George Curzon, the First Marquess, who was Viceroy of India from 1899 to 1905.