Wollaton Hall, Nottinghamshire
Built between 1580 and 1588 for Sir Francis Willoughby, Wollaton Hall is a fine example of an Elizabethan 'Prodigy House'. The architect was Robert Smythson, who also designed Hardwick Hall and Longleat. Apart from the great hall, most of the original interiors were remodelled by Sir Jeffrey Wyattville in 1801.
Sir Thomas Willoughby was created 1st Baron Middleton in 1711. The Middleston's remained at Wollaton until the late 19th century when they wished to move further away from the expanding industry of Nottingham. The houSe was sold to Nottingham Council in the 1920's and is now a museum. Exhibits include period rooms and the city's natural history collection.