Georgian Society for East Yorkshire

Full Visits Programme for 2013 Now Online

York Minster from the Walls

York Minster from the Walls

Sunday, 24th February 2013

The full programme of visits for 2013 can now be found in the "Visits" section of the GSEY website:

Saturday 9th March

YORK - York Minster - YORK GEORGIAN SOCIETY TALK: Beyond Capability Brown: New Ways of Thinking about Georgian Landscapes?

Thursday 11th April

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE - St Giles Church, Holme - Holme Pierrepoint Hall

Saturday 25th May

THIRSK - Sion Hill - Thirsk Hall

Saturday 22nd June

EAST YORKSHIRE - Burton Constable Hall stables - Wassand Hall

Saturday 20th July

NORTH YORKSHIRE - Newby Hall

Saturday 17th August

LINCOLNSHIRE - Brocklesby Mausoleum and Church, Great Limber - Normanby Hall

Thursday 19th September

ALDBY PARK

Saturday 19th October

KINGSTON UPON HULL - A TALK BY PATRICK WILDGUST: The Beauties of Sterne

IMPORTANT: Members wishing to attend a society event MUST complete relevant booking slip and send it, with the full payment (admission and coach) to reach Mrs O Hirst at least 14 days before the event.

Aldby Park, North Yorkshire

Aldby Park

Overlooking the River Derwent at Buttercrambe, the site is associated with King Edwin of Northumbria. It came into the Darley family when William Darley bought the manor in 1557. The family’s best known member is probably Thomas Darley. In 1703 he sent back from Aleppo the ‘Darley Arabian’, celebrated as the chief ancestor of English equine thoroughbred bloodstock. Thomas’s ... (read more...)

Brocklesby Mausoleum, Lincolnshire

Brocklesby Mausoleum

James Wyatt, probably working at the time at Brocklesby Park, designed a mausoleum near Great Limber to commemorate Sophia Aufrere who died in 1786. The mausoleum stands on a mound which contained Anglo-Saxon burials. Wyatt took as his model the temples of Vesta at Tivoli and Rome. The interior is lit from above through coloured glass by Francis Eginton ... (read more...)

Burton Constable Hall Stables, East Yorkshire

Burton Constable Stables

The Stables at Burton Constable Hall were built in 1770 to the designs of Timothy Lightoler. The scale of the blocks reflects the Clifford Constable families love of riding. There were two stable blocks: the most architecturally sophisticated housed the hunters while the draught horses had a plainer building. The grooms slept on the upper floors. A large indoor ... (read more...)

Holme Pierrepoint Hall, Nottinghamshire

Holme-Pierrpoint Hall

The Hall, on the banks of the Trent, has been reduced in size over the years to buildings around a single courtyard - which has within it a charming and cloistered garden. The main entrance facade is Tudor of 1500. The entrance towers have ornamental battlements and unusual alcoves (perhaps shelters from the weather). The ground floor rooms have, ... (read more...)

Newby Hall, North Yorkshire

Newby Hall from the double border.

The home of Richard and Lucinda Compton, Newby Hall is one of England’s renowned Adam houses. In the 1760s William Weddell, an ancestor, commissioned Robert Adam to alter the original Wren design to house his collection of Ancient Roman sculpture and Gobelins tapestries. Thomas Chippendale was commissioned to make the furniture. “The result is a perfect example of the ... (read more...)

Normanby Hall, Lincolnshire

Normanby Hall

Normanby Hall, once the seat of the Sheffields, was built between 1825 and 1830 to the designs of Sir Robert Smirke. Walter H Brierley added wings in 1906. Smirke’s marble chimney-pieces, carved perhaps by one of the Westmacotts, remain, and Smirke’s colour scheme has been restored in the halls, library and music room. http://www.northlincs.gov.uk/tourism-museums-and-the-arts/normanby-hall-country-park/ (read more...)

Sion Hill, North Yorkshire

Sion Hill

Sion Hill Hall is a century old this year. Designed by Walter Brierley, often called “the Lutyens of the North”, it evokes the style of the early eighteenth century. The house contains antiques collected by Mr. Herbert W. Mawer in the 1930s and by the present owner. http://www.sionhillhall.co.uk/ (read more...)

St Giles' Church, Holme, Nottinghamshire

St Giles, Holme Pierrpoint

The church is nicely set in a cul-de-sac by the river. It was built by a wool merchant – John Barton and you can find his ‘marks’: the shields above the porch door include a sheep and two bales; his rebus (‘bar’ and ‘ton’ = barrel) in the chancel roof. He is said to have come up with the ... (read more...)

Thirsk Hall, North Yorkshire

Thirsk Hall

Thirsk Hall was first built in 1720 before being substantially extended by John Carr in 1770. The interior contains numerous fine ceilings and fireplaces from the mid eighteenth century. (read more...)

Thirsk, North Yorkshire

Thirsk

The town of Thirsk is recorded in the DOOMSDAY BOOK as “Tresche”. There are numerous Georgian buildings surrounding the Market Place. James Herriot had his veterinary practise in the town from 1940; the original premises are now a visitors centre. The parish church, St Mary’s, was built in the fifteenth century and is a fine example of the Perpendicular ... (read more...)

Wassand Hall, East Yorkshire

Wassand Hall

Wassand Hall dates from 1813 and was designed by Thomas Cundy for Rev Charles Constable. The house was restored by Francis Johnson in 1947 and its Regency interiors remain largely intact. There are two walled gardens; one contains roses whilst the other is a kitchen garden. http://wassand.co.uk/ (read more...)

In this section