Georgian Society for East Yorkshire

Browsholme Hall, Lancashire.

Detail of Doric order at Browsholme Hall.

Detail of Doric order at Browsholme Hall.

Thursday, 11th September 2014

It was a sunny, if slightly hazy, day for our last visit of 2014. This was also our longest trip of the year, the journey taking three hours each way.

We had been recommended Bashall Barn as a place for lunch. This proved to be a good choice, with a broad menu, farm shop and even a brewery! The view back to Clitheroe Castle, silhouetted against Pendle Hill, from the car park was also impressive.

Browsholme is for the most part a Tudor house. The site has been in the Parker familt since thirteenth century. The family were the keepers of the deer park in the Forest of Bowland.

Of particular interest to us were the rooms added by Jeffry Wyatt in the early nineteenth century which, whilst being neoclassical in form, incorporate Jacobean details.

The house is filled with curiosities collected by Thomas Lister Parker and added to by subsequent generations.

More photos from today's visit can be seen on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.912744055406957.1073741847.209661439048559&type=1

Browsholme Hall, Lancashire

Browsholme Hall

Browsholme owes much of its architectural character to the antiquarian interests of Thomas Lister Parker who remodelled the 17th century “H” plan house in the early 19th century and rebuilt the west wing to the designs of Jeffry Wyatt (later Wyatville) in 1805, having previously furnished the hall with “armour and other curious things” and filled the staircase window ... (read more...)

In this section