Return visit to Cottingham
Saturday, 23rd April 2016
Today's visit to Cottingham commenced with a return visit to Southwood Hall.
In the afternoon we were treated to a guided tour of St Mary's Church by Trevor Brigham whose history is being serialised in the Parish Magazine.
More photographs can be found on our Facebook page here:
The oldest parts of the Cottingham's parish church date from the early fourteenth century; the west window exhibits the flowing lines of the Curvilinear style favoured by Yorkshire masons at that time. The manor of Cottingham was owned by Joan 4th Countess of Kent; after she married the Prince of Wales (Edward the Black Price) in 1361, the church ... (read more...)
Now surrounded by twentieth century developments, Southwood Hall is a remarkably intact example of a late seventeenth century house. It was built sometime before 1661 for the Bacchus family and was later a tenanted farmhouse; few alterations have been made since the eighteenth century. The house displays the bold decorative brick work typical of the seventeenth century. The present ... (read more...)