Visits 2013 Photo Book, by Austen Redman
A limited number of booklets featuring photographs from all of the 2013 visits have been printed. The booklets are A4 size and printed with colour photographs from every visit of the year.
These will be made available at society events price £6.
Price: £6.00+P&P. In stock.
Overlooking the River Derwent at Buttercrambe, the site is associated with King Edwin of Northumbria. It came into the Darley family when William Darley bought the manor in 1557. The family’s best known member is probably Thomas Darley. In 1703 he sent back from Aleppo the ‘Darley Arabian’, celebrated as the chief ancestor of English equine thoroughbred bloodstock. Thomas’s ... (read more...)
James Wyatt, probably working at the time at Brocklesby Park, designed a mausoleum near Great Limber to commemorate Sophia Aufrere who died in 1786. The mausoleum stands on a mound which contained Anglo-Saxon burials. Wyatt took as his model the temples of Vesta at Tivoli and Rome. The interior is lit from above through coloured glass by Francis Eginton ... (read more...)
The Stables at Burton Constable Hall were built in 1770 to the designs of Timothy Lightoler. The scale of the blocks reflects the Clifford Constable families love of riding. There were two stable blocks: the most architecturally sophisticated housed the hunters while the draught horses had a plainer building. The grooms slept on the upper floors. A large indoor ... (read more...)
The Hall, on the banks of the Trent, has been reduced in size over the years to buildings around a single courtyard - which has within it a charming and cloistered garden. The main entrance facade is Tudor of 1500. The entrance towers have ornamental battlements and unusual alcoves (perhaps shelters from the weather). The ground floor rooms have, ... (read more...)
The home of Richard and Lucinda Compton, Newby Hall is one of England’s renowned Adam houses. In the 1760s William Weddell, an ancestor, commissioned Robert Adam to alter the original Wren design to house his collection of Ancient Roman sculpture and Gobelins tapestries. Thomas Chippendale was commissioned to make the furniture. “The result is a perfect example of the ... (read more...)
Normanby Hall, once the seat of the Sheffields, was built between 1825 and 1830 to the designs of Sir Robert Smirke. Walter H Brierley added wings in 1906. Smirke’s marble chimney-pieces, carved perhaps by one of the Westmacotts, remain, and Smirke’s colour scheme has been restored in the halls, library and music room. http://www.northlincs.gov.uk/tourism-museums-and-the-arts/normanby-hall-country-park/ (read more...)
Sion Hill Hall is a century old this year. Designed by Walter Brierley, often called “the Lutyens of the North”, it evokes the style of the early eighteenth century. The house contains antiques collected by Mr. Herbert W. Mawer in the 1930s and by the present owner. http://www.sionhillhall.co.uk/ (read more...)
The church is nicely set in a cul-de-sac by the river. It was built by a wool merchant – John Barton and you can find his ‘marks’: the shields above the porch door include a sheep and two bales; his rebus (‘bar’ and ‘ton’ = barrel) in the chancel roof. He is said to have come up with the ... (read more...)
Thirsk Hall was first built in 1720 before being substantially extended by John Carr in 1770. The interior contains numerous fine ceilings and fireplaces from the mid eighteenth century. (read more...)
The town of Thirsk is recorded in the DOOMSDAY BOOK as “Tresche”. There are numerous Georgian buildings surrounding the Market Place. James Herriot had his veterinary practise in the town from 1940; the original premises are now a visitors centre. The parish church, St Mary’s, was built in the fifteenth century and is a fine example of the Perpendicular ... (read more...)
Wassand Hall dates from 1813 and was designed by Thomas Cundy for Rev Charles Constable. The house was restored by Francis Johnson in 1947 and its Regency interiors remain largely intact. There are two walled gardens; one contains roses whilst the other is a kitchen garden. http://wassand.co.uk/ (read more...)