Other Sites of Interest
The Georgian Group is the national charity dedicated to preserving Georgian buildings and gardens. Every year we are consulted on over 6,000 planning applications involving demolition or alterations. Our intervention has helped save many Georgian buildings and protect others from unsympathetic alterations. It is often through our influence that a better solution is found.
The York Georgian Society was founded in 1939 to promote the preservation and care of Georgian buildings in and around York, England, while fostering the study and appreciation of them. It is the second oldest society outside London devoted to the Georgian era. The Society's remit extends beyond architecture and the crafts associated with building to include the arts, culture and society of the period from 1660, the year of George I's birth, to 1837, the year of William IV's death.
Yorkshire has a wide variety of vernacular buildings, from the yeoman-clothier houses of the West Riding, to the field barns of Swaledale and Wensleydale, and the brick farmsteads of the East Riding. By studying buildings in detail, and using documentary and oral evidence from a variety of sources, the Yorkshire Vernacular Buildings Study Group (formerly the North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group) is building up a picture of the different styles of local architecture.
"From its inception in 1964, the Society has aimed to represent those who wish to make suggestions for improving the environment of our city - to make Hull a better place to live, work, play and invest."
The objectives of the Society are: 1: To stimulate Civic pride in the beauty, history and character of Beverley and its surroundings.
2: To take an active interest in preserving those features on which the character of the Town depends.
3: To encourage any development leading to improved conditions in which to live and work.
4: To encourage high standards of architecture and town planning in Beverley and District.
5: To pursue these ends by means of meetings, lectures and the promotion of schemes; and by cooperation with Local Government Authorities and other organisations.
The Laurence Sterne Trust was established as a registered charity in 1967 in order to promote the writings of Laurence Sterne, the 18th century novelist and vicar of Coxwold. Shandy Hall is where he lived and wrote The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman and A Sentimental Journey Through France and Italy.
The Trust promotes Sterne's work and international reputation through exhibitions, events and public access to the property and its collection. Shandy Hall is situated 15 miles to the north of York in the beautiful surroundings of the North York Moors National Park.
The HHA represents 1500 privately-owned historic houses, castles and gardens throughout the UK. These are listed buildings or designated gardens, usually Grade I or II*, and are often outstanding. Many are considered to be iconic symbols of Britain's unique heritage.
We are a registered charity of civic societies around the Yorkshire and Humber region. Our member societies are independent, grass roots groups of citizens who seek to enhance the quality of life in their communities. The movement has come a long way since the most recent phase of civic societies began in the 1960s and 1970s. While we still regard the protection of heritage in the built environment as a key aim, we see new development as a sometimes necessary step in the direction of vibrancy and prosperity in our communities. Where civic societies once viewed development in a largely negative way, the civic society movement in our region looks to present development as an opportunity to create the heritage of tomorrow. At YHACS, we are driven by a desire to reconcile the past, present and future of our townscapes with a vision that is developed by communities in their local civic societies.
York Civic Trust is a membership organisation, open to all who wish to protect and enhance York's architectural and cultural heritage, to champion good design and to advance the high place which York holds amongst the cities of the world. The Trust values its independence, but seeks to work collaboratively with the City of York Council and other organisations.
The History Centre brings together the material held by the City Archives and Local Studies Library with those held by the University of Hull. These include the City's borough archives, dating back to 1299 and amongst the best in the country; records relating to the port and docks of Hull; papers of companies and organisations reflecting Hull's maritime history; papers of notable individuals including Andrew Marvell, Philip Larkin, Amy Johnson and William Wilberforce; records relating to local and national politics and pressure groups; and over 100,000 photographs, illustrations; maps and plans, newspapers, special collections and reference sources relating to Hull and the East Riding.
Aston-cum-Aughton is situated on the southern border of the county of South Yorkshire and includes the villages of Aston, Aughton, Fence, Swallownest and the now demolished mining hamlet of North Staveley.
The History Group meets on the first and third Mondays of the month (except August) in the William Layne Reading Room on Aughton Lane, Aston.
As a group, we continue to research the history of the parish of Aston-cum-Aughton, recording memories and investigating records held in local libraries and archives.
he Churches Conservation Trust is the national charity protecting historic churches at risk.
We’ve saved over 345 beautiful buildings which attract almost 2 million visitors a year. With our help and with your support they are kept open and in use – living once again at the heart of their communities.
Our estate is the largest single collection of historic churches in the country, featuring treasures ranging from virtually untouched medieval gems in idyllic rural settings, to ornately impressive Victorian masterpieces in busy town centres. We also protect a small number of inner urban churches with serious repair problems, which need new uses and significant funds to survive. All our churches are of international importance and interest.
The East Yorkshire Local History Society exists to promote and encourage the study of local history in East Yorkshire.
The society publishes two newsletters and a journal, 'The Historian', per year and more substantial publications hopefully every other year. Although we do not hold regular meetings a full programme of summer events and excursions is arranged for members and friends and a lecture series which is open to all.
Grade I listed Roman Catholic Church in central Hull, built in 1828.
A fine Georgian townhouse in the centre of York. Holds a permanent collection of period furniture and hosts events through out the year.
"Every day, events in the history of Hull and East Yorkshire are posted on their anniversary. Events can come from any year, from Saxon times to last year. Events in the life of ordinary people who lived in Hull and East Yorkshire, (not just ‘the great and the good’ – though they are there too)."